null Itineario - A Cabecina
From the Late Bronze to the Iron Age
The petroglyph is one of Galicia’s most unique artistic expressions, an example of open-air rock engravings which, after the Bronze era, ritualised, marked or compartmentalised the landscape. Various rocky outcrops with engravings can be seen at the entrance to the site, one standing out from the rest, with different types of motifs, notably concentric semicircles, as well as oval or kidney-shaped, sometimes even fan-shaped, figures, some similar to those that have been found in other parts of the Atlantic coastline, notably the dolmen on Gavrinis Island, in Brittany, France.
2. Wall and ditch
The defensive systems of Iron Age settlements were structured from their very beginnings. Trenches, parapets and stone walls comprised these defensive systems. A V ditch—although filled in today by sediment—and a stone wall are still preserved here. The wall is two metres wide and it was constructed by taking advantage of the rocky outcrop on which the hillfort sat. Externally, the wall is tiered.
3. First terrace and lacus
An open space, demarcated by a wall and the abrupt drop down to the sea, with a stone boulder bearing a large cup mark, or lacus, which some researchers associate with a place of ritual on account of its location with respect to the sea and the sunset. An abundance of archaeological items characteristic of the Late Bronze Age and Iron Age I related to structures made from perishable materials (wood and straw) were found on this terrace during excavation work.
4. Second terrace
During the excavations carried out here, a greater number of structures were found, not all of which are dated in the same period, rather two phases of occupation can be distinguished: one, characterised by circular huts, dwellings with plastered walls and typical of Iron Age II, as well as packed clay or weathered granite pavements; and another, defined by the existence of a large midden with ceramic fragments where indigenous and Roman items appeared together.
The highest point of the settlement, with a visual command of the site and the stretch of coastline that extends southwards. It is occupied for the most part by large granite boulders on which it would have been impossible to build any type of structure. Several of these rocks display, once again, engravings, substantially eroded today. This conferred a certain symbolic status on the croa, or acropolis.
¡Lo que no te puedes perder!
Real Monasterio de Oia (Royal Monastery of Oia) (Oia)
The only monastery of the Order of Cistercians on the Atlantic coastline. This strategic location allowed it to play an important role in defending the coast. Its origins date back to the 12th century and since then it has undergone numerous renovations and modifications which have shaped its current appearance. The tour of the building involves revisiting its history and most prominent figures. The guided tour also includes the permanent exhibition of the graffiti written by Republican prisoners held there between 1937 and 1939, when the monastery was used as a concentration camp.
A fishing town known, among other things, for being the first European port to announce the discovery of the “New World” on the arrival here of the caravel the “Pinta”, captained by Alonso Pinzón. A replica of the caravel can be visited in Bayona harbour. Strolling along the streets of the historical quarter transports us back to the Middle Ages. Worth visiting are the ex-Collegiate Church of Santa María, Santa Liberata chapel, Sancti Spiritus Hospital and the Virgen de la Roca (Our Lady of the Rock), with its spectacular views of the town and the Atlantic Ocean.
Natural swimming pools in Mougás (Oia)
Natural pools in the Serra da Groba. The River Petelo and its tributaries combine the speed and force of the waterfalls with the peace and tranquillity of the pools. They form a part of the Ruta Máxica de Oia.
Auga dos Cebros Petroglyph (Oia)
The only known petroglyph in Atlantic Europe to represent a Mediterranean vessel. Such a representation in an Atlantic context is proof of the relationships established from prehistoric times between the Atlantic and Mediterranean cultures.
Cabo Silleiro (Baiona)
The first lighthouse located on the cape was put into operation in 1866. The current lighthouse dates back to 1924, can be seen at a distance of 40 miles and its horn can be heard 200 miles away. It is one of the main points of reference to guide the ships that sail in these waters. The lighthouse cannot be visited, but it is certainly worth coming to see it up close and enjoy the natural landscape